Friday, July 25, 2014

When did Social Media become THE place for debate? (Blog a Day 1/30)

The other day, I posted a Common Core (CCSS) video (embedded below) by Kelly Tenkely (@ktenkely) on my Facebook profile. I know that CCSS is a hot topic for a lot of people. I understand that it is something that incites anger in some people. See the original post below. Within 5 minutes, the first response was a HUGE debate, talking about the deficiencies and mentioning that they were sure the video did not address them. It continued about the same way for the duration of the comment. Unfortunately, the debate continued within the comments.

Like I said, I understand COMPLETELY that this is a sore subject. In fact, I specifically said I wasn't looking for a debate. Only sharing information. When did Social Media become THE place for debate? Yes, it is more safe than in person, it is easier when you're typing as the pressure is much less. I just have a really hard time when I specifically ASKED for there to not be a debate, and the first response was just that.

The person who responded has had a very difficult time with the CCSS implementation in their district. They have since pulled their students and have been home schooling. I understand the difficulty. I REALLY do. I just don't understand this.

Just so this is clear: I mean this person NO ill will. I understand the difficulties behind the subject. This was just a good example of what I have seen lately. Be it comments on a news article, responses to a status, etc. It happens everywhere. I enjoy myself a good debate, but sometimes I just want to share information.

br />
20140725-162159-58919658.jpg

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQgAVd5soxTw%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&h=oAQGd01ZtAQERPqdx5112CxLD4NBBQ4liW5sQJzU1mQbf9A&enc=AZPC-3QuTCfvFRE7i_Kuy_-YpMADNLbTb85a9EdMcOF7WhMpBx4Pk_uPkwAjcF5mh3465a1iP0Wg6Suhem7BSb_n&s=1<

4 comments:

  1. I think you may some great points. At the same time I know that at times that is the only forum for people to express their opinion. I am not sure there is an easy especially as more and more conversations are taking place on line.
    Thanks for sharing and participating in the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if you choose to post on a hot button topic, you are probably going to get some feedback. Even if you are just trying to share, there will be people who get fired up. I don't know the nature of the comments but my guess is that they took a negative stance. I think that the problem is that a lot of comments I see and hear in my world just start negative. People seem to be looking for a "fight" and not looking for information. It's THIS or THAT. More and more I see people who don't want to take the time to understand, read, or research. Debate is one thing, Critical examination and sharing of ideas is another. I may be off base but either way, this has been a good message for me to set my dial to positive and not let it waiver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, I know you are right. I just feel like it's so rude to start a "fight" when it is specifically asked NOT to! I have always had such an issue with disrespect. I feel this is just disrespectful. But - it won't matter. There are so many people who feel like it is their right to post whatever they like on anyone's statuses and/or walls. Maybe it is and I'm just on the wrong page ;)

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete